Symantec Officially Announces a Price Increase for the Japanese Region
Symantec, the most popular Certificate Authority (CA) in the world, announced that they will change the price structure for the Japanese region. Symantec has informed all of its partners about the mandatory price change. Symantec has a strong reputation in the SSL Market for providing the best SSL solutions. On December 18th, 2014, the company announced the increased prices for Japan, effective immediately on January 15th, 2015. But, Symantec extended the deadline to the 15th of February to fulfill this requirement, after pushback from partners like us.
As per Symantec’s mandate to all partners, the prices will be increased for Symantec®, Thawte®, GeoTrust®, and RapidSSL® branded SSL and Code Signing Certificates sold to Japan. We have adjusted our pricing in accordance with this contractual requirement and agreement. We now have to add surcharges to your order automatically if it falls under the set of criteria outlined by Symantec. This surcharge will include an administrative, billing or organizational address located in Japan.
The criteria for this new pricing includes:
- A certificate issued to a Japan domain. All Japanese companies and official Japanese domains (.jp) will be affected.
- All common names, domain name and SAN entry for the top-level domain with .jp extension will receive a surcharge.
- Any EV (Extended Validation) or OV (Organization Validation) Certificate issued to an organization which is registered in Japan.
- All Symantec®, Thawte®, GeoTrust®, and RapidSSL® products will be subject to the surcharge.
- Our system will automatically detect the region while processing the order and will add the surcharge if it matches these criteria. In this case, if you did not select the region like Japan, the system may stop you to complete the order of your certificate. In this situation, you need to contact us to adjust the price and proceed with your order.
There’s No Surcharge If Your Website Is Hosted In Japan
There is no surcharge if the website is hosted in Japan with international domain names. You may order the SSL Certificate at the regular price without paying any extra surcharge.
Price effects on additional SAN (Subject Alternative Domain Names) and Code Signing Certificates
Symantec’s new price structure also affects SAN and code signing certificates. You need to pay an extra amount to get additional SANs for your domain name with the .jp extension. This is also true of Symantec and Thawte code signing certificates. This means when you order a Symantec or Thawte Code signing certificate, you will incur a surcharge.
For any information regarding SSL Certificate or Pricing, you can read to us any time at email@example.com or Live Chat with an SSL certificate expert.